Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Affirmation: I communicate effectively with others.

Effective communication extends beyond making a clear point. Communication is about understanding others as well as being understood. I work hard at communicating with others so I can live in harmony with the world around me.

Regardless of the type of communication: verbal or non-verbal, explicit or implied, I use empathy to be able to understand others. My speech is marked by a polite tone, a warm vibe, and carefully chosen words. I practice a healthy balance of speaking and listening.

My listening skills make me successful at communicating with others. When I listen to others, I give them my full attention without planning the next statement in my head. I pause and truly hear what others have to say before I respond.

I am able to place myself in the shoes of others. I can see the world from others' points of view free from judgment. Even when I disagree with someone I try to understand his or her point of view.

When faced with a difference of opinion, I maintain my position while still being respectful. I diffuse tension with my joyful personality. My character is an asset to my ability to communicate. People love to be around me because of how I make them feel with my charm and wit.

Today, I am a magnet for constructive conversations. I repel all misunderstandings by being slow to speak and free from judgment. I measure my words with wisdom and listen with empathy. I speak clearly in order to help others understand what I have to say.

Self-Reflection Questions:

1. How can I be a better listener?
2. What can I do to improve my verbal communication?
3. Does my personality make others feel comfortable when speaking to me?