Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Affirmation: I am an attentive listener.

I am an attentive listener because I genuinely value what others have to say. I benefit most from the communication process when I use active listening skills.

The first thing I do when I communicate with others is to show them that they can trust me. When someone is speaking to me, I listen attentively and allow them to take their time.

From my body language to my responses, my demeanor makes others feel comfortable. Others know they can trust me to listen to their hearts.

Cultural differences, such as accents, are easy for me to overlook. I value each individual by focusing on the content of our conversation.

When someone is speaking with me, I make eye contact to let them know that I am interested in what they have to say. At the end of our conversation, I paraphrase what they have said to ensure that I understood their point of view and eliminate confusion.

Instead of preparing my next statement, I suspend judgment and fully attend to the speaker. I put aside personal emotions and stay actively engaged with the speaker by asking questions.

I am an attentive listener because communication involves more than just speaking. It involves listening to feelings, interpreting statements, and evaluating body language.

Good communication reduces conflict, strengthens cooperation, and increases understanding. Every area of my life, from work to personal relationships, is affected by communication. When I work hard to communicate effectively, I improve my relationships.

Today, I choose to improve my communication by putting myself aside and valuing what others have to say. When I use active listening skills I improve my relationships.

Self-Reflection Questions:

1. How can I stay actively engaged with a speaker?
2. What can I do to improve my listening skills?
3. How does my body language affect my interpersonal relationships?