Saturday, April 5, 2008

Your opinion doesn't matter.

Now, don't be offended! Read on and you'll know what I mean.

When deciding on a home based business a lot of people think about property investing, share trading or internet. (Funny about that. They're the businesses I'm in.)

Anyway, I have found opinions to be unhelpful at best and downright dangerous at worst.

With my share/CFD trading I have a system that is very easy to follow. A monkey could do it! A couple of weeks ago I formed the opinion that the financial sector was going to fall even more. As luck(?) would have it, it bounced up giving me a lovely opportunity to go short because my opinion was that it still had further to fall.

Trouble was I had no signal to go short as per my trading plan, but I wasn't going to let that minor detail stop me. I went short, but guess what? The financial sector kept heading up. Lucky I adhered to my stop and didn't lose too much money.

So much for my opinion, I should have stuck to my trading plan.....

Now to property investment.

My opinion is that a lovely blue feature wall looks lovely with yellow walls. An ochre coloured feature wall takes my fancy too. And purple, my favourite colour must fit in there somewhere, doesn't it?

Sound yucky? May be it does, may be it doesn't. The point is that such colours will clash with the majority of renters furniture. The renter who has the perfect furniture and loves those particular colours may not get to see your property at all!

So even though neutral colours may, in your opinion, be boring the fact is they would suit the vast majority of renters. If the renter wants colour they can get some vibrant cushions and throw rugs etc.

Now let's get to the internet.

In my opinion I have written some fabulous ads to post on traffic sites. I expected to see a big boost in the number of visitors to my site, people signing up for my ezine and success course etc.

I thought that if I did a google ad campaign for an audio bible over Easter I was bound to make a ton of sales.

Yes, I got a few sign ups for my ezine. A few people clicked on my bible ad but failed to buy.

See where having an opinion gets me? NOWHERE!

As Dr Phil says "... and how's that workin' for ya?"

If somethings not working, despite our opinion to the contrary, we have to change our tactic. It's not about being right or wrong, it's about doing what works. Usually, we have to work on ourselves before our business can possibly be successful.


Feel free to share some of your opinions.
Sharon

No comments: